Comment policy

I reserve the right to edit or delete any comment. Please respect the intelligence and dignity of the readers who may come upon this blog.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

+Andrew Burnham sets sail from the Grey Havens

Damian Thompson writes on the last Mass and sermon of +Andrew Burnham as an Anglican bishop.
...on your journey of discipleship, look not to me but to the Lord whom we serve. He alone can teach us how to be pilgrims on the way that leads to Paradise.
Amen. Godspeed, Andrew Burnham.

Several friends have asked me why I would consider "crossing the Tiber" since it would mean accepting all sorts of "strange" doctrine. I usually respond that I do not find Benediction strange, or veneration of Mary (having been raised an Anglo Catholic). The doctrines I find strange are women priests and bishops, communion of the un-baptized, using the Qu'ran in place of the letters of Paul, making the Nicene Creed optional, denying the Real Presence, and the various and sundry other new doctrines of TEC and Western Anglicanism in general. For the record, I also think the folks in Sydney who advocate lay presidency just don't get it either.

Whether I follow him (or his US equivalent) to Rome, or not, I pray that Bishop Andrew and the Ordinariate are successful, that the Catholic Church is enriched by their presence, and perhaps itself regains some of what it has lost, as those who follow the good bishop regain something they have lost. And ask their prayers for those of us they leave behind.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. McMahon,

    I don't know if you saw the news over the weekend, but former Anglican Bishop Burnham, along with colleagues John Broadhurst and Keith Newton were received into the Catholic Church at Westminster Cathedral on Saturday. Reports on several blogs (including this one also report that the three will be ordained to the priesthood on 15th January. Also received at the same Mass were three nuns from the shrine at Walsingham.

    Pax et bonum,
    Keith Töpfer

    ReplyDelete